Acting President – Liz Allen
Vice President / Treasurer – Laurie Lyon
Secretary – Klaus Kollenberg
Community Liaison Director – Merriel Petry
Central Park Recreation Team (CPRT) Captain – Bruce Radburn
Rachel Rowe – Assistant to Maria McRae
Jim Poupre – Resident
1) Call to order – Ms Allen called the meeting to order at 7:04 pm.
2) Motion to approve agenda – Liz Allen moved to approve agenda and was seconded by seconded by Laurie Lyon. Agenda was approved.
3) Approval of Record of Discussion from previous meeting – Klaus Kollenberg moved the approval of the minutes, seconded by Merriel Petry, and was approved.
4) Treasurers update – Laurie Lyon reported that the current balance in the Associations account is $4,878.92. Liabilities included: an un-cashed cheque to Abid Mallick for $60.00; Website fee for 1 July 2009 to 1 July 2010 of $100.17; and OCPCA Board of Directors Insurance 25 July 2009 to 25 July 2010 of $842.00. Revenue outstanding included un-tabulated donations, membership fees, and garage sale revenues. Lauri moved the acceptance of her report, seconded by Merriel Petry, and was approved.
5) Garage Sale and Family Fun Day –
- Garage Sale – The tables loaned from by the City from the Alexander Community Centre worked very well. Appreciation was expressed for the help provided by Laura Kollenberg to transport them to and fro. This year’s weekend proved to be an excellent choice. It was the weekend after the Great Glebe Garage Sale and shoppers were out in force. It turned out that the Hampton Park Community was also holding a Garage Sale on the same day and lead to migrating shoppers up Island Park to Merivale and Central Park. It was decided that the Garage Sale in 2010 would be on the first weekend of June.
- Family Fun Day – There was a good turn out for the FFD. Appreciation was expressed for all organizers. The Ashcroft face painting, ice cream and bouncy castle were a big hit for the kids. The Rogers community Cruiser was present with free coffee too. A lesson learnt from this year is that planning needs to start earlier to get the word of these events out to a wider audience.
6) Fall Fun Fest – The Board discussed the idea of holding another community event to kick off the fall season. With the objective of increasing Association membership, community clubs and the Neighbourhood Watch organization it was thought that an event like this would provide an excellent catalyst. Many ideas were generated as possibilities: stage with band; a BBQ; a movie night; Rock Band contest; hot air balloon; street hockey; membership table; collect food bank donations; tables for local business; tables for local artisans and crafts.
7) Volleyball Court – The Agriculture Canada (AgCan) employees have a volleyball club and would like to set up courts in the park. After some investigation it was reported that the City recreation department did not say no but was reluctant to pursue it. The City is not in favour of single activity venues. A business case needs to be made to show its usage by the community, volleyball leagues, and the AgCan employees. The court in Andrew Hayden park was cited as an example. Rachel agreed to check into the criteria for a business case with the City Recreation Department.
8) Soccer Nets – The AgCan soccer players donated $40 towards the cost of the nets. It was also clarified that field use is to be booked through the City allocations service.
9) Laurentian High School Site – Maria posted the most recent status to the community discussion board. The Board statement of principles was included with this and the staff report is expected to be out on 4 July 2009. Anyone can make a submission to the planning committee.
10) Other Business
- Association Mugs – Laurie presented a letter about the purpose of the community mugs and it is attached.
11) Councillor’s Report – The report was presented by Rachel and is attached.
12) Next Meeting – the next Board Meeting will be held 16 September 2009 in the same location.
13) Adjournment – Acting President adjourned the meeting at 8:15 pm.